The Devastating Reality of Sexual Assaults in Maryland
Survivors of sexual assault, sex abuse, or molestation need to know that there is help and that you are not alone. Many people are shocked to learn about the prevalence of sexual assault crimes. According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), “every 73 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.”
Sexual violence can happen anywhere to anyone. If you are a sexual abuse victim and would like to speak to an attorney, contact Schlachman, Belsky, Weiner & Davey, P.A. at (410) 685-2022 for a free consultation. While all acts of sexual violence should be criminally prosecuted, perpetrators may face civil liability as well. Our attorneys can help you understand your rights and your legal options.
Sexual Assault Statistics in Maryland and the United States
Sexual assault and abuse are two of the most horrendous crimes that can be committed against a person. It can take years for a victim to overcome the trauma, and for some, it lasts a lifetime.
Tragically, some victims never come forward despite the unthinkable act that was done to them. The amount of sexual abuse cases prosecuted each year is distressing enough, let alone considering the number of silent victims.
The following facts shed light on the problem of sex abuse in Maryland:
- Every 9 minutes, a child becomes a victim of sexual abuse in the United States.
- 1 in 6 women in the country has been the victim of rape or attempted rape.
- 55% of sexual assaults occur at or near the victim’s home.
- There were 1,758 reported forcible rapes in Maryland during 2015.
- Rapes accounted for 6% of the violent crime in the state.
- In 2017, SARU processed over 3,000 rape, sexual assault, and child sexual abuse claims.
- 19% of adult women in Maryland have been victims of rape or attempted rape in their lifetime.
- 93% of the reported rapes in 2017 were by force; 7% were attempted rapes.
- 23% of men in Maryland (an estimated 520, 800) report having experienced a form of sexual abuse.
- In 2017, only 432 people were arrested on rape charges in the state.
Despite the scope of the problem of sexual abuse, many victims simply do not get the justice they deserve. Even if the perpetrator is held criminally responsible for their crime, a victim may not receive any restitution through the court. Depending on the situation, the perpetrator or a responsible third-party may be held liable in a civil case and made to pay compensation to the victim.
Strong Legal Representation for Sexual Assault Victims
Contact our office to speak directly with an attorney who can help provide you the resources you need to move forward. Our office works with non-profits throughout the state that campaign on behalf of sexual abuse victims.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual abuse, sexual assault, or molestation, call (410) 685-2022 or fill out our online contact form. Our firm has recovered millions in verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients in Baltimore and throughout the state of Maryland. Let us be your representative and your fiercest advocate in and out of the courtroom. All consultations are free and completely confidential.
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
- Sexual Assault Reimbursement Unit (SARU)
- The Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA)